Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dressing to pass

Tomorrow is a "dress up" day at work. What this boils down to for me is that I cannot wear jeans. Tennis shoes are still OK though. On most days when we are asked to dress business professional because clients or potential clients are coming in, I wear the same kind of shirt I would wear on regular days, but I wear them with pants that are not denim. We used to be able to wear capris to work on dress up days, but they recently did away with that. This is unlucky for me, as most of my non-denim pants are capris. I normally wear a pair of cotton pants or polyester pull-on numbers on these days. I despise these black pull-on pants. I call them my prison pants, because when I wear them, I feel I am in a prison of itchiness, hotness, and ugliness.

Every now and then, I like to surprise the folks at work with a more snazzy outfit. Tonight I am trying on my options in the snazzy department. First try: a pull-on polyester dress I bought at Walmart for $13. Okay, it's cheap but still in the snazzy department because I hardly ever wear dresses. I have worn this to work before but I don't like it. The sleeves are too short and I don't have a good pair of shoes to wear with it. I try on the moleskin skirt I bought a few years ago to wear to a work Christmas party and have not worn since then. I like this skirt very much, but only have one good top to wear with it. This top is a lightweight but long-sleeved sweater. Seeing as tomorrow's high is expected to reach the low 80s, I think not. I try on a pair of nice black pants that I bought a few years ago to go to another work function. They are flattering pants. The only problem is that they make a huge noise when I walk, because of my thighs rubbing together. The event I had initially bought them for was held in a noisy restaurant/bar, so this zip zip zip noise was not noticeable. I cannot wear them to the quiet office though. Problem two with these pants is that they need to be worn with high heels. The only ones I have are my Jessica Simpson Candies high heels that I simply adore! I tried those on tonight and my feet barely squeezed in. I love these shoes so much...to look at...but I am well aware of the pain they will cause me in just a few hours of having them on. I had also bought a nice blouse to wear with the black pants to this work event.  That nice blouse is now too small for me. Ugh. I am running out of snazzy options. I try to run around the apartment in the zip zip zip pants to see if the noise will soften. It does not noticeably do so. Dang. I search the internet for some miracle hints-from-Heloise type of tip on how to keep your pants from making noise when you walk. There are none.

I guess that tomorrow I will be wearing my same old fat lady black pants that don't make a zipping noise and some old lady flats from Payless. My normal uniform for dress up days. 

Hello my lovely ladies below. I will not be taking you out tomorrow.
Don't they look sad?

1 comment:

cmkerwin said...

Didn't really get the true weather forecast for today, did you? We are done with 80 degrees through the weekend darling.