Sunday, March 22, 2009

New Castle?

Cara, Madison and I went to look at new places for me to live yesterday. We went with Cara's mother-in-law, Marianne, who is managing some properties for an older fairly wealthy woman.

Well I looked at two duplexes today. Not like the duplex as I know it. These are not 2 story. Basically a one story house that has been dvided into two apts. The second one we looked at was in a nice neighborhood over by the belleview biltmore. It was in the early stages of rehab and I do mean early.... the layout was weird and it was hard to imagine how nice it might look when they were done. No flooring, some broken windows, filthy paint on the walls, but it did have yellow tile in the bathroom. I love yellow. The tub was a greenish turquoise color and it was really shallow, about15 inches high. I felt so tall standing next to it. I am not a bath person, so the depth didn't bother me, it was just strange. Madison was gagging the whole time because of the very musty, very old-smoke-soaked-into-the-walls smell. This place had a garage which is a plus, but I could not picture myself there.

The first one I looked at was also a one story house-like structure that had two separate apts. It has a carport, so I would have covered parking yea! Off the carport is a room for a washer dryer hookup. There is a front door and another door that leads from the carport directly into the apt. This one was basically done, new carpeting, new paint. It is a very old house and I am sure you would have enjoyed commenting on some the window construction. Every window, bedroom and living room, has these weird tiles on the window sill. Layout was better than the second. You go in the front door and there is a living room, not much larger or smaller than the one I have now. It is hard to tell because there was no furniture in this room. You walk straight ahead through the living room to the kitchen. A nice large fridge and room for a small dining table. There is a flat top stove on one end of the kitchen (not new) and an oven built into the wall, or should I say the cabinets that looks like it was new in about 1966.

I really liked the first place. Cara and I went back to her house and we were talking about it. We already were aware it did not have a garbage disposal. While we were talking, it occured to me that it did not have a dishwasher! A garbage disposal is something I like but I can get past that. But a dishwasher? Now that's a deal breaker! Tom came home and we were talking about it again. He said that we should just tell them that I need a dishwasher and disposal or I am not interested anymore. Cara had mentioned certain things to Maryanne, her mother in law, who took us to these places. It was a good thing that Cara was there,as I was so dazzled at the idea of a yard, carport and second bedroom that I couldn't see the forest for the trees. Cara was concerned about security. I could break into this place and I ain't no expert. I was mesmerized by the jalousie window front doors. When I went to twist the knob to open the window panes, one immediately slipped from its frame and shattered all over the front stoop. Oops, you probably need to get that replaced.....Cara also wanted new locks on the doors, she was not satisfied. When she mentioned the lack of garbage disposal, the response was something like "well Kelly could get a disposal for like 18 dollars and install it herself...". Laughable... Tom said we should make a list of requests and repairs and then let them decide if they want me as a tenant or not.

And there is the question of my breaking my current lease. I didn't know the specific provisions as they had not sent me a copy of my lease in over 6 years. Marianne has seemed amenable to the idea that I would have to give 60 days notice to my current landlord. We talked a little more then Cara had to leave to go up to Marianne's house and pick up some patio furniture that Marianne was giving to them. Cara called me later today and said that Marianne would agree to put in a dishwasher and a disposal. They will have to take some cabinetry out. All I have now in my kitchen is one drawer. This other kitchen was full of drawers and cabinets, so I am okay sacrificing some for a dishwasher. Now I need to find out if I can afford to break my lease, if they will cut me any slack. I got a copy of the lease and I would have to give them 60 days of my early termination, pay all rent due up to early termination and pay an extra month of rent, as a penalty I guess. I don't know if I can swing that,but if I get my tax refund and take a couple of those tests at work (where they pay you 200 dollars for each test passed) I probably could.

Final tally:
PROS of moving to new place
1. covered parking
2 bedrooms
3. separate kitchen with sliders out to backyard
4. bathroom off of hallway and not off of a bedroom
5. jalousie windows on front door, door to carport (I like the look, Cara says they are a security risk. probably right bit I dont care)
6. washer/dryer hook up in separate room off carport with more storage in that same room
7. front yard with big tree
8. my duplex neighbor is a minister
9. close enough to Publix to walk on a nice day
10. about same distance to work as now
11. still close to Cara, which means something more than just what it means to Cara - that she wouldn't have to drive far to feed my cats when I am out of town...
12. did I mention the covered parking and extra bedroom
13. bathroom is decorated in delightful pink and white 60s style (Greg may need to correct me on that style if he sees it)
14. already have a yard man who takes care of outside

CONS of moving to new place
1. unless I can work a sympathy deal,it will cost me an extra 620 dollars at some point to break my lease
2. dont know what this management company is like regading repairs and pest treatments
3. pidgin must go away in order to make this move; by go away, I mean go to heaven!
4. all the hassles and hardwork of moving itself
5. living on a first floor as a single gorgeous woman alone
6. jalousie windows make for easier break ins
7. really old oven - does it even work? the electricity is not turned on in the apt so I couldn't check it
8. my duplex neighbor is a minister so no more naked keggers!
9. no washer or dryer already there and have no idea how far closest laundromat is. will probably have to invest in appliances. Calling Rent - a - Center?
10. bathroom sink and vanity are old but okay with me, but definitely needs a new mirror/medicine cabinet....

Greg's response to this information:

I think it overall sounds great, BUT security is first concern (safe area or not), In the long run I think you can swing the $$$ (look how you struggled in the past and lived to tell), 2 bedrooms would be swell (as long as 2nd one does not become Sanford & Sons dream pad), Pink and white is a 50's theme (please, bitch). In the end I think you could use a move for many reasons and just think how much Troy would enjoy your neighbor. Now hum or sing the Jeffersons theme.

"well I might be movin' on up....."

2 comments:

Connie said...

A major on the plus side: CLOSE TO E&E STAKEOUT! I say go for it.

Susan said...

I'm thinking the 2nd bedroom could be just another vacation spot for me:) I love coming across the pond...I say go for it:)