Monday, September 3, 2012

Puerto Rico Pt 4 - Palomino Island

The El Conquistador Resort has a private island called Palomino Island. According to what I heard, some scenes from one of the Pirates of the Caribbean were filmed on that island. There was a water taxi that left from the marina every half hour. We took an early morning boat out to the island. Our plans were to go swimming in the sea and go horseback riding. The trail ride promised to take us the highest point of the island and end up on the beach. I was very much looking forward to the horse ride because I miss being on horses. I wore a pair of capris that had thicker material so that I could ride without getting rubbed raw. I brought tennis shoes and a hat too. The day was beautiful, sunny, and incredibly hot.

the family waits for the boat

We sat on the open deck of the water taxi so that we could see better and take pictures. Once we got out of the marina, the boat started to undulate up and down with the waves. The boat picked up speed and we rocked up and down even harder. It took us about 10 minutes to reach the island.

Riding the water taxi boat out to Palomino Island

The island in the distance is where we were headed.
As we got closer to the island...

We exited the boat and immediately headed for a kiosk where we would book our horse ride. The first appointment was 12 noon. We had to prepay. The cost was $70 per person. While making the reservations, we were greeted by a large green iguana perched on a bush. Perhaps he was the ambassador of Palomino Island.

Welcome to Palomino Island

It was about 10 am and we had time to go swimming. We staked out some lounge chairs that were under some thatched umbrellas. We walked down to the water. Ryan and I got in and swam around a bit. The beach right in front of our lounge chairs was close to the boat dock. About 2 feet into the water, there was lots of seaweed. Ryan did not want to swim there. We walked down toward the beach where they were renting kayaks and jet skis. The water was much clearer there. After collecting several rocks and pieces of coral that had washed up by shore, we had to go shower off and get ready for the horseback riding. I did not want to be either wet or salty when I got in the saddle. I rinsed off the salt water and then laid out on the lounger to dry off.

Our loungers in the shade


Ryan and I take a dip

Kathy and Ryan examine his rock collection on the beautiful beach.

Our ride time was quickly approaching so we sat in a shaded waiting area for them to call us back. There was a barn and some chickens running around. When our time arrived, they walked us back to the barn. The first thing I noticed was the group of horses already saddled and tied up along a fence. The horses were all pretty small. One was smallish palomino horse that looked like he had manure or mud smeared on the top of his rump. I wondered how that dirt got there and why they didn't brush it off.

Horses lined up for a ride

The leader came out and gave us some basic instructions on how to start, steer, and stop a horse. Ryan had never been on a horse before, but I think the rest of us had. All I kept thinking was that I hope they have bigger horses. I am a big girl and I dreaded thinking that one of those little horses would have to carry me up a hill. I am sure those little horses were looking at me thinking the same thing. After instructions, we waited a bit more while they brought out 2 more horses. The first one was unsaddled and bigger than the rest. The second was even beefier. I hoped they were bringing out those horses for us, or at least me.


After the instructions, Mom announced that she was not feeling well. Her stomach was bothering her and so she opted out of the ride. She stated she would rest on the loungers and wait for us. The leader came by and asked us to rate ourselves on our experience and ability with horses on a scale from 1 to 10. I rated myself 7 or 8, but I really felt like I could handle any of these trail horses with no problem. One by one they put us all on horses. Ryan was the first one into the saddle. He was put on a pretty little black and white paint horse that was just the perfect size for him. Kevin ended up on the muddy palomino. The first unsaddled horse the leader had brought out ended up being mine. I was so grateful to have a bigger horse. He had saddled the horse and called me over. My horse's name was Taino, which is the name of one of the very old native peoples of Puerto Rico and other Caribbean islands. I thought he might lead the horse over these boxes that were stacked, so that I could climb up on the box and then onto the horse. I knew I would not be able to get on a horse by myself as I could when I was younger. Nope. He just pushed me up into the saddle, after I made some fumbling apologetic comment about needing help and being so big. The saddles were unlike any other saddle I have seen. They were not Western saddles and they were even smaller and more minimal than an English saddle.

Once we were on a horse, the ride began. We headed out across a large grassy area and then turned up a trail heading uphill. This trail is also used by people on foot. We all leaned forward as we went uphill, as instructed. As we reached the top, the leader announced this was the highest point. We looked around. The water was just gorgeous. We rode around a bit more on top of the hill and then headed back down the trail. We walked toward the beach. The leader led us around an area where there were some people hanging out on lounge chairs enjoying the beach. However we never actually went down on the beach itself. I was disappointed to not being able to ride on the sand and water's edge. Then we headed back. The ride was short, too short for me, but perhaps some of the others were happy to be done. Ryan seemed to enjoy himself. He handled his horse very well too. Did his horse-loving aunt's heart good to see him have fun on horseback.

Heading up the trail with the Caribbean in the background

Kevin and Ryan on their horses

After the ride, I was feeling so sweaty and hot. My choice of thicker capri pants was good for the horse ride but not a great choice for cooling off afterward. I like the ocean but not on super hot days. The idea of dipping into the salt water did not sound refreshing. I told Mom I was going to head back to the resort. There was a boat at the dock already and people had already boarded it. To avoid having to wait another 30 minutes for the next boat, I half-jogged down the dock and got on. I took some more pictures as I rode back to the resort. The boat trip back was not as enjoyable as the trip out had been. It was midday and the climate was intense with sun and heat. I did get some nice pictures of the mainland and the water though. The water had stripes of color in it, blue, turquoise, green. The skies over the mainland now had more clouds but it was still soo hot.

The boat at the dock
A view of the mainland, mountains, and sea from Palomino Island

From the boat, you could see the entirety of the El Conquistador. Every building in this picture is a part of the resort.

I arrived at the marina and rushed to my room. My face was so hot, it seemed like I was burning from the inside out. All I wanted was a shower and fresh clothes. I did get my shower, all cold water. I meant to go back to the island the next day, dressed in some cooler clothes, and do a little walking around. I never got back, but Kevin and Larry did. They told me there was a clothing optional beach on the other side from the dock, but when they walked by, there was no one there or no one there who was nude anyway. They hiked all the way around the island and took some good pictures, which I don't have so I can't show you.

2 comments:

cmkerwin said...

Tell me that Kathy is not texting on her phone while riding that horse!

Susan said...

I really need a tropical vacation after viewing all of these wonderful photos! I love the one of you and Ryan in the pool! You are SO good with kids:)