Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Nutshell

Elf Maddy
I had the pleasure of spending the days before Christmas with Susan and her family. I always enjoy the time that Cara, Susan, and I get to spend together. Whether it is adopting our British alter egos to annoy the children, discussing the personalities of the staff at the local grocery store, or just hanging in the kitchen, we always have a good time. I can't believe I didn't take any pictures. I kept forgetting to bring my camera. I am sorry she left before Christmas Eve night. Christmas Eve was definitely a little quieter without the extra kids and hubbies running around.

Christmas Eve, Cara, Darcy, and I went to the candlelight service at my church. There was a nice crowd, we sang some songs and listened to the birth story from the Bible, and I took the Lord's Supper. At the end, we lit candles and sang Silent Night. The church looked very pretty in its Christmas decorations and I was happy that Cara and Darcy chose to go with me.
Cara dressed for church - she didn't end up wearing the hat

On the way home from church, we stopped to get some McDonalds for dinner. None of us had eaten since breakfast. The McDonalds drive-thru is where I learned of the water main break in Pinellas County. McDonalds had a sign up explaining they could only serve milk, chocolate milk, apple juice, or bottled water due to the water pipe problem. I was disappointed as I was really looking forward to getting a Mocha Frappe.The guy's voice came from the speaker and asked if I wanted to try the the McRib. I certainly did not. I told him no I don't and I am sad about not being able to get a Mocha Frappe. I ordered the #2 meal and when asked what I wanted to drink, I replied Diet Coke. Uhhh, he answered, we don't have fountain drinks because of the water main break. Duh, in the matter of 2 seconds I had forgotten this. I ordered bottled water.Cara must have been a little out of it too. I asked her what to get for Darcy. She told me a Happy Meal and I told the order guy. He asked, for a boy or girl? Before I could answer, Cara informed me "girl". Yeah, I already knew Darcy was a girl but thanks. Tee Hee.

The water main break was not something we had been paying attention to really. We had been drinking water from the filter water dispenser in Cara's fridge and using the ice from the ice maker. When we got home, we learned that most of Pinellas County was under a boil-water warning. Great! Good thing Cara had bought some jugs of water at the store earlier. The county has now issued a mandatory boil-water order for at least the next 48 hours. Yikes.

Christmas Eve was mostly spent playing some Christmas version Password. The girls put out spritz and chocolate chip cookies and milk for Santa. They mixed oats and glitter and sprinkled it all over the driveway for the reindeer to lick up. Santa must have come by a little before 3 am, as several people in the house had a story about being awakened at that time. I suddenly awakened right at 3 am. I walked through the living room past the tree to go to the bathroom. I didn't have my glasses on and so didn't notice if Santa had been there, but the dog was also awake and whining about something. Darcy reported being mysteriously awakened at that same time. She said she heard me in the bathroom and then she went back to sleep. Had Santa come right before 3 am and jostled us from our sleep? In the morning, we saw that the cookies and milk had been partially consumed by someone.
Girls tossing reindeer food into the air - see the specks falling
Elliot really wishing he could join the girls and jump at and eat the reindeer food

Cookies for Santa

Christmas morning I was still in bed at 7 am, but I could hear Darcy and Madison in the living room previewing their gifts. I got up and joined them. Once Cara and Tom were up, the kids played with their gifts from Santa and the adults went through their stockings. We were waiting to open wrapped presents till we could go pick Connie up and bring her to Cara's house. Tom and the kids left around 9:20 to go pick her up. Empty oxygen tanks and a surprise Christmas morning visit from the wound nurse delayed them arriving back until almost noon. We ate breakfast for lunch and then proceeded to open the gifts.Lots of good presents for everyone!
Tom and Maddy play a piano duet on her iPad





Connie enjoying her nap and the girls enjoying their gifts from Santa


 Connie fell asleep in her chair. The girls played with their Santa gifts. Cara tweeted and helped me with dinner preparations. We had beef tenderloin, twice baked potatoes, cauliflower, garlic bread, and caeser salad. We ended up eating dinner around 5 pm, much later than we had originally planned, but everything worked out.
The sweet couple enjoy Christmas dinner
Maddy faking what we all were really feeling - sleepy, full, and content

 After dinner, Cara and I took Connie home. We returned to Shady Bluffs drive for some brownie and peppermint ice cream. It was a very good day!

No comments: