Saturday, September 11, 2010

Disney Marathon

I bought a season pass for Disney in October 2009. Although I was given $100 by Cara towards the purchase, it was still expensive, especially for someone like me who wasn't a big Disney fan. Back in October, we used it to go Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom. I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the parks so much. I planned on going back to Disney sometime to use my season pass again, but that trip never materialized. So when Cara told me she was planning a trip to Orlando for the Labor Day weekend, I was excited to be included.


The family explores Hollywood Studios

We drove over on Saturday and that afternoon went to Hollywood Studios. The heat and humidity were extreme. We were wiping sweat from our foreheads, necks, and chests all day. Madison, Tom, and I went on the Rock-n-Roller Coaster again, like we did last year. We went to the American Idol Experience again. AIE has some good points, other than just being in air conditioning. The comedian who came out to warm us up was pretty funny. But I was exhausted from all the clapping and enthusiasm required of the audience during the show. We also went on The Great Movie Ride, where they take you through the sets and scenes of famous movies.



The Tree of Life at Animal Kingdom


On the tram to Animal Kingdom

On Sunday, we went to Animal Kingdom. This is a park I had not been to before. The safari was fun, but really really bumpy. We saw all kinds of animals, from hippos to flamingos to wildebeests. I did actually see a lion, but he was sleeping high atop a grassy knoll under a tree and I didn't blame him a bit for resting in the shade. It was another hot and humid day. I had considered wearing my supposed-to-be-extra-breathable shirt, but it is white. Cara had told me that there would be a water ride that would be sure to get us wet. I didn't want to run around in a wet white t-shirt. It's Disney, not Mons Venus.

Madison and I went on Expedition Everest, which is a rollercoaster that goes forward and then backward and then forward again. It was really fun and fast and had some moments of scariness. We tried to go on Dinosaur but the fast passes were all gone and it was getting late. Darcy hurt her ankle, but our fast passes for the water ride were coming due. So I carried Darcy on my back over to the ride. I was plenty hot and ready to be splashed by then. Darcy and I were apparently in the lucky seats on Kali River Rapids. We both got drenched from head to toe. Darcy changed into a bathing suit after the ride, so that she could wear something dry. I was stuck in soaking wet clothes. We went to see the It's Tough to Be a Bug show, which is in a dark cave theater. At one point they blow cold air over the audience. I was freezing in my wet clothes. For once during this day, I was happy to go back outside into the heat.


Monday we went to Epcot. I kept thinking back to the first time I went to Epcot. Kevin, Larry, and I got drenched in a rain that wouldn't stop, I was so sick from Mission Space that I couldn't go on any rides, and we ended up at the World Showcase eating pastries and drinking wine. This trip to Epcot with the Booses, we rode Spaceship Earth inside the big geodesic ball. It has been upgraded a bit since I went on it with Kevin and Larry several years ago. It rained while we were at Epcot, like last time I was there. We went on Soarin', the ride where they dangle you in the air while you watch this giant video screen. It makes you feel like you are hang-gliding. It was pretty cool. We ate near Soarin' and the spicy Thai chicken with cashews I had was excellent! We went on the Living in the Land boat ride and saw new methods of growing food. At Innoventions, Cara, Tom, and I tried out Segways. We went on Test Track, which was rough but fun. Darcy went on that one to my suprise. Not surprisingly, she didn't like it much. We watched the fireworks show, called Illuminations on the World, from "Mexico".

The next day, after checking out of the hotel, Cara and the kids and I went back to Epcot for a few hours before driving home. On this second visit, we went to Journey into Imagination with Figment. Darcy and Madison went on the Sum of all Thrills at Innoventions, where you sit inside this capsule and are jostled around by a giant robotic arm while watching a video screen.

I found my perfect car but couldn't figure out how to stick it into my backpack to take it home.


The resort where we stayed was very nice and very big. I had my own master suite with a whirlpool tub and a king size bed. Each girl had their own double room and a bathroom to themselves. Our balcony was so long. One morning Darcy and I went down to the fitness center and worked out. Monday morning we spent the first half of the day at the pool.

Cara's morning view from the balcony

Madison comes off the waterslide at the resort pool

Darcy shows off her bedroom

The pool at our building - it was very refreshing cold water!

It was a marathon trip through Disney parks but I definitely now feel I've gotten my money's worth out of the season pass.

2 comments:

kevin said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Nice trip report.
I am happy that you didn't experience HP world w/o me.

Susan said...

Oh...it all looked so wonderful!!! I wish I could have been there with ya girlies!! Maybe next time:))