Thursday, April 15, 2010

China Cabinet arrives!

My new (old) china cabinet arrived on Wednesday, delivered by two young men who for the most part were extremely careful. But young men being who they are, they did not deliver it unscathed. One of them tried to roll it on the dolly and lower the top to about a foot off the ground in an attempt to slide it under the fire extinguisher box attached to the wall by my door. He tried to roll it under this box while avoiding the large square stucco column on the other side of the cabinet.

His pal advised him to go around the outside of the column, through the wide open space of the courtyard, instead of trying to get it between the wall and the column. He did not listen. He almost made it. He was sure he had cleared the fire extinguisher box and lifted the top of the cabinet up again. Bang! He hadn't cleared it. He left a small scrape on the top. He apologized and his pal looked at him as if to say, what did I tell ya? I can't complain too much as I bought the cabinet with scrapes already existing. What's one more, right? The bang guy took his sweet time installing the glass shelves for me and made sure everything was good. He turned on the light above to show they worked.

The cabinet was pretty dirty and smelled ever so slightly of old cigarette smoke, a smell I remember well. I cleaned up the mirror and the glass and gave the whole thing a once over. It looks pretty good. And it was pretty darn cheap too.


Yay! A place to put things with no use where they won't collect so much dust and where they can sit pretty and where the cat can't jump up and walk around on them.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I love it! It looks great in your place:) Great purchase! I wish I had a china cabinet!!! You would think after 20 years of marriage my husband would buy me one!!!