Saturday, November 10, 2007

First time

I know I am behind the times by a decade or more but I just got high speed internet service for the first time. I was using dial up before. While high speed opens up the fascinating world of YouTube and all its many Star Wars parody clips to me, it also opened me up to the rapid fire infection of viruses and spyware and non-stop pop-ups. Thanks to the uber-IT husband of a friend of mine, most of this has been cleared up. Now I am free to order from QVC.com even faster than before, leaving less time to truly contemplate the wisdom of purchasing a Dennis Basso Faux Shearling shawl collar swing coat. See I live in Florida. Good news for QVC and less good news for me. I depended to a certain degree on my slow technology to keep me out of trouble. Just last night I did some drunk i-shopping (almost as bad as drunk dialing) on Amazon. Not that I regret my purchases. REO Speedwagon's Greatest Hits will be a fine addition to my CD collection, but still, maybe I should have been forced to think about it a little longer.....hmmm.

So its Saturday night. I cooked myself a delicious and spicy dinner of fajitas. I am watching Mister Roberts on the local PBS station and having a rum and coke. I decided to see what this blogging thing was all about. It was just too easy. Now here I am blogging. I feel younger already.

My blog title, Demographic of One, refers to my social status. I consider myself a demographic containing only one actual living person. I am in my early 40s, never been married, never had kids and I am not gay. I do not personally know a single other person who fits that description. I feel like ET left behind on Earth by accident. If there are any others out there like me, then I can not pretend to speak for them, only myself.

I was talking to a co-worker the other day about this and she had this advice for me: Either get married or turn gay. Frankly, the choices were not very realistic. Gay? I like men and, frankly, women are nuts (no offense to my own gender). Marriage? I would love to be married despite most examples of marriage I have seen. I am idealistic enough and also egotistical enough to believe I could make it work even with the odds against me. But due to choices made in my younger days, which I believed then and still do believe for the most part, were wise, the time for marrying seems to have passed me by. I have some very good friends whom I love very much and I am closer to my family than I have ever been. Still...there is no one I know in my own age group who has the same circumstances as me. I am currently without peers. I like to think that I am a lone scout bravely heading into previously undocumented territory. The truth? Well I haven't had enough rum and cokes yet to face that.

No comments: